Nothing says movie time like a bowl full of popcorn, but what do you do when you want popcorn and something sweet too? If you are anything like me, you try to combine them in one snack and hope for the best. Actually, this is how I made dark chocolate salt popcorn for the first time. I liked it so much that it became a regular addition to my movie nights.
In this recipe, I combined two of the things I love a lot, popcorn and dark chocolate. The result turned out to be pretty good and thought I should share this easy recipe with you. The whole process doesn’t take more than twenty minutes, so add that in the advantages.
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (I think different kinds of oil would be fine too, but I’ve never tried anything else.)
- popcorn kernels (as much as you want to make)
- 1 pack of dark chocolate chips
- sea salt
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Right before turning on heat, put the popcorn kernels in the oil and cover the pan. Wait until the kernels start popping.
- Once the kernels start popping, lower the heat to prevent the kernels from burning. Let them pop, and shake the pan occasionally until most kernels have popped. When the popping has slowed to several seconds between pops, turn of the heat.
When the pops have stopped, remove the saucepan from the heat source. Sprinkle the popcorn with sea salt, and pour the popcorn in another bowl. Be sure that no unpopped kernels make their way onto the second bowl.
The popcorn is ready, so let’s move on to the chocolate chips. You can either melt them in a double boiler, in the microwave or placing the pack (closed) in boiling water and wait until everything is melted.
Drizzle the popcorn with melted chocolate and mix them around to distribute the chocolate.
Now it’s almost ready to eat. Allow to sit at room temperature for the chocolate to cold down. You can either choose to eat the dark chocolate salt popcorn with a spoon or put it in the fridge for 30 minutes for the chocolate to firm up and eat it as regular popcorn.
You probably have already noticed how easy this recipe is. Hope you love this sweet and salty twist on popcorn! Dark chocolate salt popcorn rocks!