Boxes and baskets are necessary for a tidy place. They help you organise your stuff, while serving as decoration. In today’s post, I will show you how to make a cylinder felt basket. It’s great for storage, or even laundry.
You will need:
- Thick felt (4-5 mm)
- Fabric scissors
- Needle & thread
- Measure tape
- Fabric soap
How to make a cylinder felt basket
1. Use a round object (such as a plate or a tray) to create the base of the basket. The base sets the width of the basket, so choose something close to what you want to make. If you don’t have any round object, design a circle on a paper, cut it and use this piece as a guide for your base.
2. Now, you must cut the second part of the basket in the right width and height.
It’s up to you how tall your basket will be. Mine is around 55 cm but make something according to your taste.
Moving on the hard part… The width of the cylinder is equal to the perimeter of the cycle you cut before. To count the right width, you will use a type we had learnt in school. It’s not as difficult as it sounds. The width of the piece you want to cut will be counted as following: Perimeter = 2 x radius x 3,14
Let me explain this with an example: My circle has a diameter of 29 cm, meaning that the radius is 14,5 cm. The perimeter of this cycle is: P = 2 x 14,5 x 3,14 = 91,06 cm.
So, the second part of my basket has the following dimension: 91,06 & 55 cm.
If you are still following, let’s go on.
3. You pin together the two sides (55 cm) of the rectangle and sew them. You have created a cylinder with two open ends.
4. Take the circle you cut before, pin it on one of the two ends and sew it. The cylinder felt basket is ready, but if you want to add handles, move to the next step.
5. Cut two long pieces of felt. Their dimensions are around 50 cm x 4 cm.
Place them on the basket, pin and sew them. Your cylinder felt basket is ready!
So, what do you think? Making this felt basket isn’t that hard, is it? If you have any questions or concern, leave me a comment below or send a direct message on Instagram @obsessedmaker. I’ll be happy to help.
Tip: Make sure to choose a colour that you love. It will be nice if it matches the rest pieces in your place.
Related post: how to make reusable produce bags
LIKED THIS POST? PIN IT!